Contemporary music and new stage expressions projects
Attacca would like to encourage:
· the performing of different styles of contemporary music
· the performing of music in the Choregie concept (staged performances)
The idea for Attacca came from the conductor Karmina Šilec who believes that »we are responsible for our concert programs to become large museums which give contemporary generations the possibility to listen to intellectual, spiritual and aesthetic landmarks of the past. At the same time we also have responsibility toward contemporary music - we should promote creativity of our time and give new music a chance to be heard and to grow.« The Attacca festival is trying to include the basic elements of her concept called “Choregie studio – vocal theatre or theatre of voices” into the general idea of all activities held under the project Attacca. With innovative interventions in vocal music the Choregie concept is opening up wider spaces for complex multi-form artistic events.
The Attacca is happening on several stages:
1. Union Hall, Maribor - Attacca concerts for choirs all year round:
Each festival concert (one every two months) is organized for three ensembles performing with the host – the Carmina Slovenica Choir.
All ensembles present themselves with a thematic program. Repertoires should include music written after the 1950s (contemporary music, jazz, ethnic music, etc.). Programs can incorporate some theatrical elements such as drama, movement, visual elements, staging, etc.
The Attacca festival concerts are open to all ensembles from the national and international music scene.
More information and application: carmina.slovenica©guest.arnes.si
2. Attacca Workshops:
According to their structure the workshops are divided into the following areas:
. theatrical elements (improvisation, drama, movement techniques, staging, etc.)
. mental training, concentration, relaxation, etc.
. repertoire studies
. other topics (vocal technique, intonation, etc.)
Workshops are conducted by Karmina Šilec.
More information and application: project©zbor-carmina-slovenica.si
3. Attacca project - concert series in Slovenia and in partner ensemble’s country.
A partner ensemble is a choir who includes the idea of Attacca into its program. A partner ensemble comes to Slovenia as a guest choir and hosts Carmina Slovenica in its home country.
Both choirs propose high quality contemporary works from their own country and both study the chosen program. On tours both choirs perform the program as a joint choir. Each of the ensembles prepares its own repertoire of contemporary music.
The choirs first work together in workshops to prepare the repertoire. Both conductors share the podium for the chosen repertoire from their own countries.
· both partners are obliged to host their partner for several days (free accommodation and food)
· both partners are obliged to organize an Attacca concert (on a professional level concerning the venue, technical conditions, promotion)
· both partners are obliged to organize a concert for the guest choir only (if the choir so wishes)
· both partners organize other activities during the guest’s visit (other concerts in the country or elsewhere, social gatherings, sightseeing)
· each choir covers its own travel expenses and the fees for the artists.